Sunday, July 19, 2015

I read this to my father today - long after Father's Day has passed, but since he and Mom were with us I preferred to read it to him face to face.  My Dad is 85 this year.



Happy (belated) Father's Day Dad.

I wish I could have been with you, and Bill, and John on Saturday as you guys went out for an early Father's Day treat of a movie and lunch together.  I know this is exactly why you and Mom decided to make the move to Birmingham - to be closer to family.  I'm a little bit jealous that I wasn't able to join the Myers Men for that special outing, but I'm sure you guys really enjoyed that time together.

Maybe it's Father's Day, or it's just a reflection of my age - but throughout the day yesterday I found myself staring off into space for long periods of time, lost in my own thoughts.  One of my girls caught me by surprise in one of these "reflective moments" as I was sitting at the table waiting for dinner, and asked me if I was OK.  "Yeah", I replied, "Just tired, I guess".  I wasn't being dishonest, as Daphne and I were both pretty pooped after taking a long hike with Duke in the intense heat of the afternoon. But there was more going on in my head than just being in Zombie mode.  I was "time-traveling" through the years of my life - thinking back over all the places we've lived, and the things we've done.  And I suppose part of me was wondering how I've done in the "Father" category over all these years.  Will my girls look back on their lives with fond memories, or with regrets?   I've made hundreds of decisions over my lifetime that have changed the course of our lives to one degree or another.  And with each one of these decisions, there was no way I could possibly anticipate what the impact would be upon my family, or upon our future.  When you think about it, that's a heavy responsibility to bear, because every decision I make as a father will, in one way or another, have a direct impact upon my children and upon the course of THEIR lives.  Even though we've tried to involve the girls in the most important "course adjustment" decisions these past few years (and we've had more than our fair share of them!), we all understand that the final decision rests with me.  So with that backdrop in mind, I want to share with you my own reflections of my life, and the impact that your decisions have had upon me.

In 1950 you made the best decision of your life, and that was to marry Mom.  The two of you have been an awesome team all these years, and I know you'll agree that Mom has been the key contributor to all your major life decisions, just as daphne has been for me.

Somewhere around 1965 you made another decision that would influence not only every other decision you would ever make, but would have the greatest impact upon your five children as well - and that was your decision to entrust your heart and life to Jesus Christ.  Who could have imagined what that single decision would mean for all 7 of us?

In 1967 - I think - you made the decision to join Campus Crusade, and then to move from Oklahoma to California.  That decision not only affected our family, but also had an impact on Uncle Roger and Aunt Betty who followed your example in joining CCC, and then followed us from Tulsa to San Bernardino.  I find it interesting, now that I'm thinking about it, that each decision you made to follow the Spirit's leading affected more and more people beyond your own family.  There's a principle there somewhere.

In 1973 (?) you made the decision to accept Bill Bright's challenge to move your family to Kenya to direct CCC's fledgling African ministry.  And in 1974 six of us left Southern California for a whole new life of adventure in Africa.  While I was too young at the time (11) to understand the magnitude of a transcontinental move, I am so grateful that you, again, followed God's leading.  I know now that following the Lord often comes at a price, and in this case you were misunderstood and misjudged by Edith and maybe even Papaw.  Of course, all that changed when Papaw came to visit us in Kenya and saw the lives that had been changed through your ministry.   I can honestly say this move changed the lives of your children, as three of us met our spouses in Africa.  I look back on those first 8 years I lived in Kenya as the golden years of my life - years filled with excitement, and adventure, and friendships that would last a lifetime.  In fact, in November I will join with five of my closest friends from Rift Valley Academy for what has become an annual reunion.     I would never have met any of them had you changed your mind about the Africa move and decided to stay in California - and a compelling case could still be made that this would have been the safest and sanest decision.  But who ever said that God calls His children to be safe, or even sane?  I can't say for certain of course, but I would say that if you and Mom had simply stayed in California back in 1974, my life might have taken a dramatic turn towards rebellion, drugs, or some other life-destroying addiction.

And so, while there have certainly been many, many hardships, financial challenges, life-threatening accidents and illnesses, the loss of many friends and family members, and innumerable smaller incidents that have undoubtedly broken your hearts - I can say with absolute confidence that God has always provided, always protected, always been our family's constant pillar of strength in a world of instability - and so have you.







No comments:

Post a Comment